Home » Historical notes

Historical notes

Our History

Our History - Parish S. Catherine

About the beginning of the religious service of Donnalucata have historical information from the seventeenth century. During the summer, at least, the sailors and tourists were given the opportunity to listen to the festive Mass in the chapel of the little house Miccichè. The hut was destroyed by the earthquake of 1693, in the 700 was the chapel of the little house Penna. Assunta, to give the people the convenience of Sunday mass. Because the township has finally a church, June 22, 1873 it is the first national committee, chaired by Provost D. Peter Paul Spadaro forwarding to Bishop La Vecchia a petition signed by 17 priests and 79 Sciclitani. Just a few months after entering into the Diocese Bishop Blandini is in December 1876 to fulfill the sacred visiting Scicli and had traveled to this hamlet of Donnalucata located on the southern shore of the sea, with great pain understands the precarious socio-religious ones rivierani ; strives so with exhortations, prayers and example, to make you erect a church. Despite the sadness of time for misery, seasonal unemployment and the claimant cholera is so willing cooperation among the people.

Bishop Monsignor Giovanni Blandini

Bishop Monsignor Giovanni Blandini - Parish S. Catherine
 They were known for dedication to this project, Dr. William Bishop's pastoral and canonical Pinzero William Conti. It can be said that Church grew brick by brick, cemented by the faith and enthusiasm of Father and accounts by workers Donnalucata, the laying of the cornerstone took place July 25, 1878, is the same Bishop Blandini to bear witness. Finally completed the construction of the Church, Canon calls Counts July 12, 1885 to Bishop Blandini allowed to bless both the building is the statue of the Assumption, this church being dedicated to SS. Assumption. Bishop responds heartily congratulated and grants 40 days of indulgence for those who confess and communicate in or below the eighth day of the Assumption. On September 6, 1887 died from cholera the first priest of the Church of Donnalucata, Canon William Conti. Since the death of Canon Accounts 1887 to 1910 the celebration of mass was entrusted to the Capuchin friars in the convent of the Militia. In 1910 at the suggestion of Pastor Zisa Bishop Francis Cotton Priest Blandini Instructs the festive celebration in Donnalucata, after Father Cotton gives his willingness to remain in Donnalucata, but given the difficulty that the Church of Donnalucata become Parish Church Father Cotton leaves .
 
Since then, Bishop Blandini will ensure that the Parish Church of Donnalucata becomes, however, touches to his successor, Bishop Joseph Vizzini, the joyful consolation canonically erected in the Parish Church of Donnalucata. The new parish under the title of St. Catherine of Siena was founded by the Episcopal bubble December 8, 1918 and civilly recognized July 29, 1923. His first parish was the zealous Netinese Sac. Conrad Morello, after he followed each other zealous parish priests including Father Pigeon, Collesano Father, Father Ammatuna up to the current parish priest Father Sultana.

The church

The church - Parish S. Catherine
The Church was built in sandstone, the façade in the upper loggia with Christ Blessing, a doorway in the lower order in bronze by the artist recently Syracuse Caldarella with relief of sacred scenes, particularly the part left are represented from top to bottom: the Assumption of Mary into heaven, the Crucifixion, the Annunciation and St. Alexander on the right, still down: Queen Mary, the Resurrection, the Nativity and the Guardian Angel. On either side stand the pilasters topped with Corinthian capitals on the right and a beautiful mosaic of the Madonna of the Militia. On the right side of the church are some fine ceramics, including one depicting St. Joseph's post in 1968 to remember the milestones for the parish. The tower has four orders ending in a pyramidal spire, the last order is a large clock on each of four sides, a modern plant in the third bell. The interior consists of a nave and apse by a short central transept with two altars, the vault above the altar is frescoed with scenes from Ascension and the Assumption into heaven of Christ, by Raffaele Scalia. On the left there is also a fresco of Christ and Peter during the "miraculous fishing". On the walls there are a number of mosaicidi Florentine school of great value (especially the one depicting St. Catherine of Siena, who named the church). Of particular interest is the statue of St. Joseph, patron of the township. The floor is marble Botticino striped long and narrow and gives great depth to the church.